Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
Aalto University School of Engineering invites applications for
THREE DOCTORAL CANDIDATE POSITIONS IN MARINE AND ARCTIC TECHNOLOGY
Finnish maritime cluster is known for complex and high-value products. The product portfolio varies from physical objects such as ships, outfitting and equipment to expert services and software. As one of the missions of the Aalto University is to serve the society by educating game-changers, the Marine Technology Research group launches an Industrial Doctoral School. The concept is to integrate the doctoral studies with real life industrial problems. Two first years of the program the student spends in university and the second period of two years in a company. Now we have open positions for three doctoral candidates. Each of the positions is linked with an important, current industrial research problem, identified by a network of industrial companies and described as follows:
- AIS – Improvement of the overall shipping performance by market analysis combining voyage charter contract and Automatic Identification System (AIS) data
- ARCTIC – Numerical simulation of sea ice, including modeling of ice-breaking process during maritime operations
- STRENGTH – Advanced ship hull strength assessment methods for improved designs; to be based on utilization of advanced materials and production methods
These positions provide opportunities to conduct scientific research in an academic environment, while maintaining at the same time close links to the Finnish marine industry.
The call is open for candidates with a Master’s degree in marine technology or in any other relevant discipline associated with the above topics. The candidates are expected to be proactive, capable to work in teams, goal-oriented and to possess a good potential in knowledge, skills and attitude towards doctoral studies in a multidisciplinary field of science.
The applicant must fulfil the requirements for doctoral students at Aalto University, School of Engineering. For more details, see: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/Admission+requirements
The expected duration of doctoral studies is four years, but a contract is at first made for one year, and the extension is subject to advance of studies and research. The salary is according to the salary system of Aalto University.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted online through the link provided below, and include:
- Certified copy of a master´s degree certificate and official transcript of records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Summary of previous research experience, e.g. master thesis.
- Motivation letter, where the candidate should clearly state which of these open positions (AIS, ARCTIC or STRENGTH) he/she is applying for including description of the candidate’s background and motivation to apply for this doctoral position (maximum one A4 page).
All material should be in English and submitted in PDF format no later than 31 October 2017.
Shortlisted candidates may be asked to provide two reference letters. For language requirements, see: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/Application+instructions#Applicationinstructions-LanguagerequirementsLanguagerequirements
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Further information For additional information about the project, please contact Associate Professor Jani Romanoff and for further details about the application process, please contact HR coordinator Anna-Maija Harju (email: email@example.com).