Progress in nanotechnology has led to an enormous interest in two-dimensional (2D) materials, having a huge market potential in electronics. In addition to exploiting the novel properties of individual 2D crystals, van der Waals heterostructures (vdWh) comprising several different materials hold promise for novel devices with designed properties. In this project, we will integrate mechanically stable and transferable nanolayers (5-10 nm) of organic semiconductors (OSC) with inorganic 2D materials, which could contribute significantly to technological advancement by exploiting the properties of both materials. The PhD research will focus on interfacial electronic properties in such structures, mainly studied by photoelectron electron spectroscopy, using lab facilities and external synchrotron facilities. The project is associated to the The Graphene Flagship, a Future and Emerging Technology Flagship by the European Commission.
- You have a MSc degree and a strong background in physics, applied physics, electrical engineering, or a closely related discipline, with an interest in condensed matter physics and preferably two-dimensional materials.
- Experience with two-dimensional materials in an experimental research setting is a plus.
- You should be a team player with excellent communication skills and should be fluent in English.
- You will collaborate actively with junior and senior researchers from participating teams in different countries.
Information and application
For more information about the position, please contact Dr. ir. M.P. (Michel) de Jong (email@example.com).
Applications should include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for this position, a detailed CV (resume), a publication list, contact details of at least 2 referees, and an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education. An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure.
The start of the project is as soon as possible.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO- NU).
- Salary ranging from € 2222 gross at the start to € 2840 gross in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies’ activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.