The NRW-Schwerpunktprofessur Biohybrid & Medical Textiles at the Institute of Applied Medical Engineering is offering
2-3 PhD student positions in Medicine, Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
The position is to be filled by Oct. 1st. 2019 and initially limited to 1 year. A further employment in addition to a total of 3 years is sought with the possibility of being enrolled as a PhD candidate. The salary corresponds to level EG 13 TV-L.
The main focus of the NRW Biohybrid & Medical Textiles, BioTex is the development of biohybrid implants, which are produced with and by the patient’s own cells. Biohybrid implant research has developed rapidly in recent years, leading to promising new therapeutic approaches. Biohybrid implants consist of a technical and a patient’s own cellular component. For this reason, our working group is very interdisciplinary and includes scientists from the fields of materials research, (molecular) biology, engineering and medicine. Furthermore, a high international orientation is our strength. In several approved DFG projects, we investigate the interaction of the technical and cellular components with the aim of creating a maturation and control model taking into account the individual implant dynamics.
Activities and responsibilities
- Independent scientific work on a third party funded projects
- Planning, coordination and evaluation of the experiments
- Fabrication of biohybrid constructs (heart valves, vascular grafts) bioreactor conditioning and tissue analysis.
- Development of textile-reinforced scaffolds by combination of different fabrication techniques (e.g. electrospinning, knitting, moulding, spraying)
- Establishing new methods for the online non-invasive evaluation of tissue maturation/development.
- Development of bioreactors for the dynamic conditioning of heart valve/vascular graft tissue models.
- Writing of scientific articles, third party applications and reports
- You assist students in carrying out academic work as part of their studies or as
You have successfully completed your studies in engineering / natural sciences or medicine and have thus attained at least the qualification level of a Master (or equivalent).
- Experience with cell culture, tissue analysis techniques (e.g. immunohistochemistry, pCR, mechanical characterization) and bioreactor technology is highly appreciated but not required.
- Experience in textile technology (e.g. electrospinning) is highly appreciated but not required.
- In addition, you have a strong sense of initiative, a high degree of teamwork and a strong ability to communicate as well as the willingness to take on responsibility.
- An analytical and conceptual mind, a systematic way of working and a high readiness for interdisciplinary work complete your profile.
- You have very good knowledge of German and English.
Send application to
Your contact person:For further details, please contact:
Prof. Dr. med. dent. Christian Apel, NRW Schwerpunktprofessur, Biohybrid & Medical Textiles, AME – Helmholtz Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Forckenbeckstr. 55;, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Please send your application (code GB-P 19741) by August 21st 2019 to:
NRW Schwerpunktprofessur, Biohybrid & Medical Textiles, AME – Helmholtz Institute for Biomedical Engineering, Forckenbeckstr. 55; 52074 Aachen, GermanyYou can also send your application via email to email@example.com. Please note, however, that communication via unencrypted email poses a threat to confidentiality vulnerable to unauthorized access by third parties.