Postdoc Position on Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping (SLAM) for next generation visual inspection at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT – Genova) – [ Postdoc ] 76750
Workplace: Genova, IIT, Italy
The Visual Geometry and Modelling (VGM, https://vgm.iit.it/) Research Line at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) invites qualified applicants to submit their CV’s for a Postdoc position in Genova, Italy under the supervision of Dr. Alessio Del Bue.
The VGM mission is to provide computational tools for the digitisation, interpretation and understanding of large-scale 3D information extracted from multi-sensor inputs (video, audio, thermal cameras, IMU and other sources). The scientific core of the VGM Lab is related to the research fields of Computer Vision, Signal Processing and Machine Learning with the primary goal to provide algorithms for:
• Dynamic 3D scene understanding from video and RGBD data;
• Representation and Interpretation of 3D data using semantic and contextual information;
• Large-scale data understanding and modelling for Life Science and Engineering.
The Lab expertise is also applied to several practical and challenging problems in the industry with ongoing collaboration with world-leading companies in machine vision, robotics, automation, energy, avionics, photonics and fashion industries.
To this end, this call aims at consolidating VGM expertise in the research area of automatic visual inspection in the context of highly efficient industrial applications. The postdoc will work on 3D scene understanding using multi-sensor data with topics related to simultaneous localisation and mapping (SLAM) for the efficient inspection of large-scale infrastructure. The project aims at creating intelligent agents that can map and simultaneously detect imperfections in the infrastructure by fusing efficient localisation approaches and deep-learning methods to detect and predict the possibility of damages like cracks, fissures, discoloration and other types of defects. This solution will be integrated in a novel robotic infrastructure as well developed at IIT by the Advanced Robotics (ADVR) Research Line with the target of achieving a working prototype for visual inspection.
The required qualifications for the position are:
• A Ph.D. in computer science, engineering or related field (with specialization in either computer vision, information retrieval or machine learning);
• Proficiency with programming languages, in particular Python, C/C++ and MATLAB;
• Experience on SLAM and multi-view geometry approaches for sparse and dense 3D reconstruction;
• Publication in major Computer Vision conferences/journals;
• Good communication skills and ability to cooperate;
• Proficient in English language (written and oral).
• Knowledge of OpenCV, PCL and Open3D libraries;
• Practical experience on the Robot Operating System (ROS);
• Knowledge and experience on Deep Learning algorithms and relevant platforms (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.).
The successful candidate will be offered a salary commensurate to experience and skills.
The call will remain open until the position is filled but a first deadline for evaluation of candidates will be June 30, 2019. Please send your application to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “BC 76750- VGM Postdoc Position on SLAM for visual inspection” in the e-mail subject. Your application shall contain a detailed CV, a one-page research statement and name and contact informations of two referees.
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (http://www.iit.it) is a non-profit institution created with the objective of promoting technological development and higher education in science and technology. Research at IIT is carried out in highly innovative scientific fields with state-of-the-art technology.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an equal opportunity employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Please note that the data that you provide will be used exclusively for the purpose of professional profiles’ evaluation and selection, and in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 71781 – email: dpo[at]iit.it)